ServiceMaster by Mason provides puffback soot cleaning services in Central & Southern Rhode Island and Central & Eastern Connecticut
Is your home heated by an oil furnace or burner? If so, it could be vulnerable to a puffback. A puffback occurs when an oil burner backfires, sending soot and debris through the furnace or boiler's exhaust system, and throughout your home. It can happen all at once, like a balloon popping, or more gradually, as if someone was holding the end of a balloon and letting the air seep out slowly. If you have a forced air system, the problem can worsen as your heating ducts can spread the soot into every corner of your home, with the same efficiency that they spread heat.
Although there is no guaranteed way to prevent a puffback and soot damage, annual inspection and maintenance of your oil burner or furnace can greatly reduce your risk.
If a puffback occurs at your home, soot and debris can cover every surface and may range from light to very heavy. Sometimes the disbursement of soot is so light and fine it appears to be ordinary dust. However, this "dust" can accumulate inside heating vents, cover ceilings, carpets, walls, or baseboards, and can reappear hours after being cleaned. There is often a strong odor of oil accompanying a puff back.
If your home or business experiences a puffback, you should:
- Notify your insurance agent immediately
- Throw away all exposed food
- Call a repairman to fix the malfunctioning oil furnace
- Call ServiceMaster By Mason to begin cleaning and deodorizing all affected areas immediately
If your home or business experiences a puffback, you should not:
- Do not attempt to wash wallpaper or flat-painted walls, as improper cleaning will further compound the soot residue
- Do not use retail cleaning solutions or soap. These will only smear and spread the soot, not fully remove it
- Do not try to clean carpets and upholstered furniture
- Avoid touching items in the home. Soot on hands can easily permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage
- Don’t wait! Soot travels and will reappear if not immediately removed
ServiceMaster By Mason is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you when experiencing a puffback, clean all areas affected by smoke damage and soot damage, and restore your property to its original state, as well as eliminate odors.
Please complete the form to the right for additional information. If you need immediate assistance, contact us at 800-934-5869. We offer emergency services, quick response time, and work with all major insurance companies. From Glastonbury to Ledyard, Connecticut, to Charlestown and Bristol, Rhode Island, ServiceMaster By Mason is here to assist you.